Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Any on else excited to see this show, of course I missed last weeks episode but don't worry it will show it again this Friday! I'm on a healthy kick lately you know trying to eat better, exercise and make sure of course the kids have better food also. Cole's school doesn't have a cafeteria so you have to bring lunch, I always try to pack him a healthy version but I can say it is better than the pizza that I use to take my napkin to mop up the oil just to dip in ranch sauce. Hmmmm I think the little light bulb just popped up over my head why I was always a chunky child oh man even better fluffy adult now!

I'm so excited the DVR is set and I'm going to watch this Friday! I hope you can watch to me need to take care of the kids and what goes into their bodies! And of course ourselves too but as a chubby kid I know how important it is to start with them first! Teaching our kids the right way to eat is the building step to a long life of happiness. No one wants to be over weight, we may say we're fine and happy with how we are but really who wants to be overweight pulling down your shirt when you sit and pull up your pants when you bend over. Yup not pretty! So come on let's help out! I love TV shows that are more than just that and I have a feeling this one will be!

Sign his petition to promote healthy food for children www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/petition.


And of course a recipe! Come on people don't you know me by now! But check it out, it looks so yummy!!!

Jamie Oliver's: Classic Tomato Spaghetti

Classic Tomato Spaghetti

This pasta sauce takes minutes to cook. What's great about this recipe for beginner cooks is that once you've done it a few times you can add other simple ingredients to your basic tomato sauce to completely transform it. Check out the end of the recipe, where I've given you some ideas to get started.

Serves 4-6
2 cloves of garlic
1 fresh red chile
A small bunch of fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound dried spaghetti
Olive oil
1 x 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
4 ounces Parmesan cheese


To prepare your pasta
Peel and finely slice the garlic. Finely slice your chile (halve and seed it first if you don't want the sauce too hot). Pick the basil leaves off the stalks and put to one side. Finely chop the stalks.

To cook your pasta
Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, add the spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions. Meanwhile, put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 2 good lugs of olive oil. Add the garlic, chile, and basil stalks and give them a stir. When the garlic begins to brown slightly, add most of the basil leaves and the canned tomatoes. Turn the heat up high and stir for a minute. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the spaghetti in a colander then transfer it to the pan of sauce and stir well. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.

These can be added to your tomato sauce when it's finished. Just stir in and warm through:
• Add a handful of baby spinach leaves to the sauce at the same time you add the pasta—when the leaves have wilted remove from the heat and serve with some crumbled goat's cheese on top.
• A few handfuls of cooked shrimp and a handful of chopped arugula with the juice of ½ a lemon.
• A can of tuna drained and flaked into the sauce with ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon, some black olives and the juice of ½ a lemon.
• A handful of fresh or frozen peas and fava beans

Jamie's recipe is taken from Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver (Hyperion).
©2009 Jamie Oliver, with photographs by David Loftus.

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Buy Jamie's book here!






I wasn't given a book or any compensation for this, I just thought it was a REALLY cool book and show!

4 comments:

  1. I signed the petition, and plan to watch tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled. Loved the first show and can't wait to watch tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I am now living on my small farm milking my goats, having chickens, making cheese and growing the garden.
    I KNOW where my food is coming from. If I want a cookie - I MAKE the cookie.
    I've been making our bread for more years than I can count.
    We haven't bought a vegetable other than some celery and garlic for three years.

    It can be done - it's a lot of work - but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover