The other week I made a really good sandwich for our friends. Of course I came across our meal idea on Pinterest. This Chicken Parmesan Sub was found on one of my favorite sites Eating Well. I search Pinterest for their recipes all the time since they are low fat and family pleasing.
- 3 cups bread flour (I used whole wheat)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place the bread flour, sugar, salt, milk powder, water, butter, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set on Dough cycle; press Start.
- Remove risen dough from the machine, deflate, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces, and form into rounds. Place the rounds on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg white and 2 tablespoons water; brush lightly onto the rolls. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
Then on to the chicken and making of the subs. This was pretty easy and man they sure would yummy!
Chicken Parmesan Sub
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large breasts cut into 4 portions or 4 small breasts), (2 large breasts cut into 4 portions or 4 small breasts)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 6-ounce bags baby spinach
- 1 cup marinara sauce, preferably low-sodium (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 4 soft whole-wheat sandwich rolls, toasted
- Position oven rack in top position; preheat broiler.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Place chicken between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan until the chicken is an even 1/4-inch thickness. Dip the chicken in the flour mixture and turn to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add half the chicken and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and chicken; transfer to the baking sheet.
- Top each piece of chicken with the wilted spinach, marinara sauce and Parmesan. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve on rolls.
(I just baked my chicken then added the spinach and cheese in the oven, I’m about the easy version. So I skipped the putting the chicken in the pan on the stove top).
So there you have it an easy meal and something new then just the regular chicken dinner! Happy Monday have a great day!