I’ve been seeing the watermelon cupcake on Pinterest for a while and I’ve wanted to try them out. All the links I clicked on only had a picture. So I created my own. I took a yellow cake recipe added some red food coloring and some chocolate chunks.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Chunks (or mini chocolate chips)
- Red Food Coloring
- Oreo Cookie (I added one at the bottom this doesn’t have to be done)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Add in your red food coloring (I use Wilton Gel). Once mixed well add in your chocolate chunks (chunks look like actual seeds). If you want put a Oreo at the bottom then/or pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
Easy Pudding Frosting
For the frosting I made one I’ve seen again on Pinterest but I couldn’t find an actual link to the recipe. So why not create my own link!
- 1 package Cream Cheese (Room Temperature)
- 1 container whipped topping (Room Temperature)
- 1 package of vanilla pudding (I used pistachio)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of Vanilla (depending on how thick you want it)
- Food Coloring if needed
Cream together the cream cheese and whipped topping. Once mixed completely add in pudding. I used pistachio for the color and the taste. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of milk mix and if you need it to be thinner add another cup of 1/2 cup of milk. Add food coloring if you want it to be a deeper green. Once mixed together you put in a piping bag (or a Ziploc bag with corner cut off).
Now Frost your cupcake and tada you have a Watermelon Cupcake with an Oreo bottom if you please.