Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Monday, March 27, 2017

Baby Shower Monogram Cookies (Royal Icing)

My amazing  co-worker who was throwing a baby shower AND Lives in TN (I live in WA) asked me to make the cookies for the special day. I was so excited but also nervous of sending cookies across all the states. I'm was so happy and relieved when she called to say ONLY one cookie broke (which her husband was happy with since he got to eat it .. LOL). She picked 3 cookies a Elephant, a Circle with dots and a Monogram of baby initials. Yesterday I showed the Elephant Cookies that captured my heart. Today is the monogram Cookies.


If you're in need or cookies for a party or just to eat, shoot me a msg at SweetPea Cookie Therapy. Thank you!


What you Need:
Fancy Cookie Cutter
Royal Icing - Pink and Grey  (see recipe below) 
Pipping Bag (w/ pink and grey royal icing) 
Black Edible Marker

Pipe each cookie first with an out line and then flood with the pink or grey. AFTER the cookies dry you add the details. I used a pipping bag of pink and grey to add the baby's initials. For the initials I practiced first on the parchment paper to see what font would look the best (I also googled fonts to see which I could copy). I did little hearts instead of periods to make it cuter.


NOW to make grey was the hardest part of these cookies. I tried putting a little black into the white but it wasn't coming out to the correct color (mind you some days this works for me other times not). So I went to Plan B .. make my own grey. Red, Blue and Yellow will make Grey. NOW mix red and blue FIRST together (if you mix all three together you get that brown goo below). If you mix red and blue you'll get a dark grey with a purple tint, add in a drop of yellow until you get the perfect grey.


 Here are all the cookie shapes made:

Click HERE to see who I link with.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3.Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

Julie Usher, she has a GREAT YouTube video on how to make, color and make consistency adjustments

Royal Icing what you need:
2 lbs Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
5 Large Egg Whites (or equivalent) 
Flavor to Taste
Gel Icing Color

Mix powder sugar and cream of tartar in your mixer, just to make sure it is incorporated in. Slowly add egg whites, then whip start of slow then go to very high speed. She says around 2 minutes, my friend had an older mixer so it took almost 10 minutes. You want stiff peaks that hold on and won't fall off the spoon. Add in your flavor, I would suggest you use a clear flavoring.  This would be the glue texture great for ginger bread houses etc.

Take 1 cup of royal icing in a smaller bowl then add your coloring, lightly mix so you don't get air into the the icing. I'm like her and like the gel coloring. 

For Top Coating - Add 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 tsp Water (This is if you don't want to outline and flood)
For Outlining - Add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp Water
For Flooding  - Add 2 to 3 tsp Water

WATCH her video on How to Top-Coat, Outline, and Flood Cookies. YES it is around 7 minutes BUT if you have never done this technique it's a MUST she explains it perfectly.

3 comments:

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover