Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Soups On ... Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup (WW 6 Points)

With the weather cooler, and me running around crazy I have been using my crockpot a lot more then usual!  I love Emily Bites and she posted a recipe for Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, I of course adapted it to be in the crockpot to make my life easier!  ONE thing I learned a LONG time ago is put the rice or noodles in the crockpot the last hour.  I was in a rush and didn't do this and got kind of a goopy soup.  It still was tasty but a head slap for not remembering to wait until the end to put the rice in!

Ingredients:
2 cups water
4 cups (32 oz) less sodium fat free chicken broth
1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (6 oz) box of Long Grain & Wild Rice 
1 cup sliced or diced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 stick (8 tablespoons) light butter 
2 cups fat free half and half

Directions:
1. Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the chicken, rice (with seasoning packet), carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred. Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a plate and shred with two forks. Replace the lid and continue to simmer the rest.
2. Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour a spoonful at a time to make a roux. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy. 
3. Add the shredded chicken and the cream mixture back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow soup to thicken and flavors to combine. 
ALEXIS NOTES: I used my soy creamer instead of the half and half (what I had on hand). Since I was using the crockpot I threw in a frozen chicken.  Right before I served I put the cooked chicken into my mixer to shred the chicken.  I got Wild Rice from the bulk section at Winco.  I put all my ingredients in the crockpot on low for about 6 hours.  REMEMBER don't put the rice in until about a hour before you serve!!

Give it a try it's on the skinny side but is full of flavor, no one in the house will know!

Enjoy you will love this one!
Something to keep your belly warm in this cold season.

Thanks for Stopping by!

Don't forget to see the parties I link up to HERE

4 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful and I'm glad you made it into a crock pot recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup for dinner when it's cold out! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect for all this cold weather we are having! I like the idea of soy creamer instead of half and half. I'll try it with that substitution too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover