Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Boo to you from our crew - DYI Minion Costumes Made

When they say it takes a village to raise a child it took a village to make these costumes.  Let's just start up front I'm not a sewer.  I can rock a hot glue like no tomorrow, but a sewing machine kind of scare's me!  I put a SOS out of FB and a friend let me borrow her mom's sewing machine (a great machine that is 30+ yrs old and had only been used 2 or so times).  Then the amazing Stacy from Stacy Uncorked came over at 7p to help me sew pants.  NOW my job was to measure said pants!  WELL let's just go back to the statement above I'm not a sewer.  So the pants came out great just way too large!  So SOS #2 on FB and another amazing friend (who mind you is a friend of a friend) that stepped up over and beyond came to my house to help me figure out what I did to the machine that was now not working.  Well it didn't work so in the cars we went and went to her house.  She set me up in front of her machine (YUP you read that correct I sewed).  I fixed the pants and even sewed on the straps for the overalls!  I ended up staying up until Midnight Saturday night but they came out pretty awesome!


I first saw this awesome idea for Homemade Minions on The Home Place.  She did an awesome job and her's came out awesome.  I'm going to break down her steps for us that are sewing challenged and need the extra steps (ok the Dummies Guide to Minions).

Here are the costumes done.
I'll come back Wednesday when we go to the church party and kids all done up.


What you Need (This is what I needed for 2 minions adjust on the # you make):
2 Rolls of 1 inch foam (I used 2 rolls for 2 minions)
Bright yellow spray paint
Bright purple spray paint (Cole wanted to be the evil minion ... go figure)
1 packages of black pipe cleaners (cut half)

1 Purple Feather Boa
2 Pkgs Velcro (self adhesive - but still hot glued it down)
Hot glue gun
1 bag Hot glue sticks (I used close to 40 or 50 of the small sticks)
1 Round cardboard container (Oatmeal Carton - Worked perfect)
2 Sheets black felt
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Thread (Blue, Yellow, Purple and Black - or be lazy like me and use one color)
3 yards Blue Fleece
1/2 yard Yellow Fleece
1/2 Yard Purple Fleece

1/2 Yard Black Fleece

Wrap Foam around each child to see how much you will need.  I found that I needed a roll per kid and then had left over that couldn't be used (I so was hoping one roll would be enough since it was like $16 a roll but no go).  You can be professional and make a line with a pencil and then cut, or be like me wrap then with your finger place where it needs to be cut and then cut it.  OK this is where the inexperience sewer came into place, she said make 7 points (I thought this was some trick NOT make 7 triangle cuts).  If you ONLY make 7 triangles that will make it easier to close the top of the head up.  MINE was a little hard, thanks to Rick and a can of spray glue.

I took my minions outside and sprayed them down in the driveway.  I found one can did the job but if I wanted to be picky it could have used another good coating if I bought another can of paint.  I left them outside for a half hour or so to make sure they were dry.

The side seam glue down about 5 inches and then add your Velcro.  I ended up hot gluing the Velcro to the foam to make sure it stayed in place (the self adhesive didn't hold very well).  Take the oatmeal container and cut into a round circle that will be for the eye to keep it sturdy.  I had the kids put the minions on with a pen I had them mark where their nose was (for the center of my circle for the eye) and then I marked where there shoulders hit.  I then had them take it off, I took the oatmeal circle and made it a stencil and cut it out.  I used my circle cookie cutters to cut the arm holes out.

I took the fleece and place a long sleeve shirt of the boys as a point of reference and added a little length and width. I should have made them come in instead of one long tube but I wasn't into perfect I just wanted to get this done .. lol.  NOW I should have taken the same concept with the pants I tried to eyeball it with taking the fleece going around half the foam body and then finding the inseam.  Let's just say this didn't work in my favor the pants became HUGE and I had to do an emergency take them in moment.  Take some pants for the child and then add a little to the length and more for the width place on foam to make sure they will fit over the foam but not fall off either (like mine did).  I made a traditional overall, with a little square for the front and then added two strips for the straps (I folded mine over so they were a little thicker and padded).  For the logo I made a circle out of the black felt and then for the G I went online printed out the G and cut it out of yellow fleece.  I then hot glued the black circle down and then the G in the center.  I hot glued the sleeves into the arm holes.

For the Yellow Minion I took Black pipe cleaners I cut in half then hot glued them to the top, sticking straight up.  For the Purple Minion I took a purple feather boa I found at the dollar store and hot glued it down.  She had a hole on the top of her head, but with Rick on the head duty he glued that whole thing down!  But it worked just fine hot gluing to the foam.

To finish up I cut a long strip of black fleece to line the inside of the eye.  I hot glued the down and tried to make it so it was smooth (but it was me so it's a make it work moment).  I cut a longer strip of black fleece to fit around the foam head to be strap of the eye hole.

I must say this costume was so much more money then running to the drug store and picking one up.  Half way through it I wanted to give up and so glad I didn't because they turned out so cute!


You may end up with a little paint on you .. lol

And don't let a child distract you!
Oh yes a HOT Glue Gun Burn ... OUCH

So what do you think??

Thanks for Stopping by!
Don't forget to see the parties I link up to HERE.

I fun quote that I had to share, so perfect for this!


Clothes make a statement.  
Costumes tell a story.  
~Mason Cooley

UPDATED PHOTO OF BOYS!

9 comments:

  1. All your hard work paid off because they came out AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful, you kicked butt! Hope the boys have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are adorable. I can't wait to see them on the boys. I love the yellow minion's hair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard work gives good results. They are awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they turned out great. Can't wait to see your boys in them. I can't sew to save my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute! Love them! you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job on those costume there super cute great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute Alexis! Sorry I've been bad about visiting lately! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover