Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Easy Caramel Corn

Here we are on another easy gift idea!  The PTA President and myself had the brilliant idea to make caramel popcorn for all the kids for the upcoming Christmas program this Thursday.  Sure I can do that ... hehe she said to herself not thinking how long it would take to make 120 of these bags!  Now if you are just doing a normal batch this really is easy heck even at the quantity we did it was pretty easy just a little time consuming.  To make it go easier before she was off work I went and popped all the popcorn.  I made 3 brown paper grocery bags full!  I found this amazing recipe for Easy Caramel Corn on Our Best Bites website.

Easy Caramel Corn
12 C popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)
1 C brown sugar
 
1/4 C white Karo syrup
 
1/2 t salt (if you are using salted microwave popcorn then omit salt here)
 
1 stick real butter
 
1/2 t baking soda
 
1 t vanilla
Pop popcorn and set aside. Place brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt, and butter in a microwave safe dish. I cut up the butter into chunks so it melts better.
Are you ready for the directions? I’m warning you, it’s complicated. You might want to take notes. Here we go. Microwave for 30 seconds. That should be enough to melt the butter at least half way. Stir it all to combine. Now microwave on high for 2 minutes. Take it out and stir. Microwave for 2 more minutes.
While the caramel is cooking, put the popcorn in a big bowl. Use one that is way bigger than you think you’ll need. Try to get any un-popped kernels out so you don’t break a tooth. When the caramel is done cooking, take out of microwave and add baking soda and vanilla. Sit back and watch it do cool things like bubble and foam.  Stir it well and then pour it over the popcorn. Mix it up well with a big spoon. I usually spread it all out on a piece of foil and let it cool for a minute so it doesn’t get stuck in one big clump. The longer it sits out, the firmer it will get, but it won’t ever get crunchy-hard unless you bake it.
What I did was pop the popcorn doing my microwave trick (click here to find directions).  I used my Pyrex 4qt glass bowl with 1/2 cup popcorn kernels.  This made the exact amount for the recipe. 


I promise it was super easy to make and put it together.  For the kids we put it in nice little treat bags.  The extra I had left over I put in these cute plastic containers I found at the dollar store a while back.  I can't wait to pass them out!  I hope you make it for someone special.
Kids Treat bags (bags from Dollar Tree)
 Treat for the adults (from Dollar Tree)

Have a wonderful day!!

10 comments:

  1. One thing I can say for sure that is that I would LOVE to receive this as a gift - for Christmas or anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks better than anything you can buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i'd kill for popcorn right now! My tooth is all messed up so nothing delish for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caramel corn is so yummy. I'll have to make this I've never made at home

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would eat the whole bowl. I have no self control with homemade candy corn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that was easy! I'm not planning on doing too much baking this year. I made Oreo Rice Krispie treats and everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I have always wondered how to make this homemade! Visiting from the Pin Me Party!

    Shelley
    www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does look easy & yummy. Although lots of work for PTA! The Christmas Crunch I linked this week was a recipe from my PTA co-president. That reminds me...our next meeting is next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover