Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Soups on ... Slow Cooker Corn Chowder

On to day 2 of our featured of soup recipes!  The great thing about crockpots is using a crockpot liner.  I serious LOVE the person who made these! They make it so easy that you can do a quick rinse out and tada you can use it again for the next day!  Oh yeah no more soaking it overnight or longer and not using the crockpot for a few days. 

The next soup we tried out for the family and our friends was a Slow Cooker Corn Chowder I found on Baked by Rachel.  I must say it smelled so good I was tempted to take a little taste but I resisted.  The boys all loved this one and even went back for seconds. 

Ingredients:

5 slices bacon
1 1/2 C onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 16oz can whole corn, drained
1 16oz can creamy style corn
1 tsp thyme
1 C chicken broth
4 C potatoes
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 C half and half
3-4 tbsp corn starch

Directions:

Cook bacon in a skillet or in your stove. Meanwhile, chop onions into smaller than bite size chunks. If using a skillet for your bacon, reuse the same pan and bacon drippings for your onion. If baking your bacon, heat up 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet. Cook onions until they are nearly translucent. Transfer onions to a small bowl, set aside. Chop up bacon, reserving 1 slice of bits for topping later.
Mince Garlic (either bought or do it yourself). Scrub potatoes and chop into bite size pieces.
Add all ingredients to slow cooker bowl, except corn starch and half and half. Remember to reserve a portion of your chopped bacon. Gently stir ingredients. Cover and cook for 7 1/2 hours on low.
At the 7 1/2 hour mark, add half and half. Give it a quick stir, replace cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Your chowder will not have a creamy look until you add the half and half. It also will not be thick until the final step.
Just before serving add corn starch. This will help to thicken it up. If you add to much you can counteract that by adding a bit more chicken broth into the mix. Add 1 tbsp of corn starch at a time and mix well. It will thicken fairly quick. Continue to add corn starch 1 tbsp at a time until you are satisfied with the consistency. 
Serve warm, topped with bacon.
Alexis Notes: I used turkey bacon and cut it up and crisped it up on the stove top.  Cole found a great new job of peeling potatoes (may not have been perfect but it worked).  And I held back the gagging with the cream of corn ... I'm sorry that is one that will always get me.



Happy Tuesday, Hope you have a wonderful day!

What's on your Meal Plan today?

Don't forget to see the parties I link up to HERE.

13 comments:

  1. I haven't had corn chowder in ages, but now I want some. I love your recipe - it's simple and sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love corn chowder here. It have been a long time since I made it though. I bet it tastes good with the bacon on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love corn chowder. I can a corn broth when I freeze my corn in the summer just so I can make corn chowder. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corn chowder sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds yummy. I love the liner, I won't use my crock pot without them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corn chowder is so good! It's funny, I never liked it until this year. Now it's one of my favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried a corn chowder in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely sounds amazing!! I'll have to pin this one to try it soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so with you on the creamed style corn! This chowder looks delicious however!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love soups. This looks and sounds wonderful. Thank you for the recipe.

    Consider yourself hugged.
    http://wp.me/p2p0CQ-PN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! This looks so delicious! I'd love for you to link up a few yummy recipes at my weekend link party@The Weekend re-Treat! if you haven’t already yet this weekend on The Best Blog Recipes!

    Hope to see you there!

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! This looks so delicious! I'd love for you to link up a few yummy recipes at my weekend link party@The Weekend re-Treat! if you haven’t already yet this weekend on The Best Blog Recipes!

    Hope to see you there!

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover