Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Monday, September 6, 2010

Martha's Chowder Recipe

The boys love broccoli and you know Caden's love of corn so I was on the Google search for the perfect recipe. That and I saw the challenger on Iron Chef do a corn chowder. I found this Martha Stewart recipe that worked perfect with a few of my tweaks.

Ingredients

Serves 4

  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into bite-size florets, stalks peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

  1. In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Increase heat to medium. Cook onion, stirring, until it begins to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, thyme, and milk. Cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon.
ALEXIS NOTES: Thank you Ms. Amy I'm on a turkey bacon kick so this I switched out with the turkey bacon. I only had red potatoes on hand so I used two of them. I used the whole wheat flour and I didn't have frozen so I used canned corn.

Cole loved it he ate THREE bowls, Caden and Rick turned their noses up at it. More for me and Cole :). NO CLUE WHY IT KEEPS UNDERLINING ... UGH


18 comments:

  1. Oh yum!!! I always make corn chowder for Halloween. Maybe I'll whip this version up next week!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with Bacon lately! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good old martha to the rescue. I must admit, I like most of hers too. And this one looks great. Thanks for sharing and linking up to tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you Poser. I am so happy you love the turkey bacon this does sound amazing. I hope all is well hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet little Duck would love this. Can't wait to try it! Bring on the Fall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks great... and an awesome recipe for fall too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm...bacon. I would love it. Brian would order pizza if I ever made it though...he has a deep dislike for broccoli.
    Major bummer on the tire...you should have heard Jacob...he has started to get an imagination..."first 'Lexis should take off the tire, then carry it on top of her head, then take it to the tire station, and put it in the tire station and fix it!' in a tone that said "come on people how dumb are you? It's and easy fix!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it sounds just yummy! We would all like that here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's even better if you use a ham bone to make the base soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont like chowders either.. so i will pass on trying this one.. thanks for the review though..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to make a chowder - I may try this one out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks really yummy! I'm with you on the turkey bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hot and yummy, excellent recipe as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh this sounds like the perfect winter meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy but what else did I expect LOL it's always yummy here :)

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover