Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday ~ Ground Beef Chili Recipe with Bell Peppers

Blessed with Grace

You know how Cole and Rick love Chili so I just had to whip this one up! Also because my dad visited and whenever he visits Rick buys beer for him. Then when he leaves I'm left with beer, Rick and I don't drink it so why not cook with it! So here we go with a little tweaks because you know my moto use what you got, don't run to the store to buy more stuff!

Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 medium-sized garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3 green bell peppers, halves, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 2 medium-sized yellow onions, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons medium-hot pure chile powder
  • 2 teaspoons red (cayenne) pepper
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup beer
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
NOTE: I only had a yellow and red pepper on hand. Also cut back on chile powder since the young ones don't like it too hot. I also added in zucchini and carrots (got to sneak those veggies in) and a little fiber is always needed so some black beans.

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan, heave the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and onions and sauté until the onions turn transparent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chile powder and cayenne and sauté 1 minute more.
  2. Add the beef and sauté, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat coarsely, until the beef is evenly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, beer, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is thick, about 20 minutes.

Serve the chili in bowls, on its own or over steamed rice. The recipe is also delicious made with ground turkey or ground pork. Quantities are easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled for a party.

It's easy, delicious, and fun to garnish the chili, too. Put out bowls of shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper Jack cheese; sour cream; crispy corn tortilla chips; chopped mild onion or fresh chives; and chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Don't forget bottles of one or more favorite hot chili sauces, too, for guests who prefer more heat.

I borrowed this recipe from http://party-food-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/ground_beef_chili_recipe_with_bell_peppers

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I LOVE chili! Rich is the only one who makes it around here, though I think I may start-it sounds really easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this. I need this. I need this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds a lot like my recipe for chili, but I've never tried it with beer, I usually use red wine to deglaze the pan... I'll have to try it with some dark beer, I bet it is great.
    Not many people use bell peppers, but I like the flavor you get with them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover