Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Check

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Playing House by Fredrica Wagman Review

As you know by now I love reading, books are my passion my escape from my crazy world! I love to share what books I find. Today I bring you another book that took my breath away and even shook my soul. Fredrica Wagman wrote my new book titled Playing House.

Playing House is a book that first appeared in 1973, and was a national bestseller. Now I must worn this book is very personal and wrote in a first person point of view of sibling incest. It is a book of an adult that is trying to come to terms with her past. Her past involves many things that has shaped and formed her life. Her journey is one of a relationship with her brother. Now this may shock some readers and you may put it down, but it is a book that is very personal of a very hard journey. Her journey is a very powerful and struggle with a very mean spirited brother, a father that is just not with it and a mother who almost turns a blind eye to the things that are happening to her daughter.

This is a very difficult subject and is very hard to read but it was so well written that you keep reading and have your thoughts and prayers with her the whole time. You may put it down at times, but you will come back to finish this story. This is not the happy go lucky book I usually read but it was a change that my mind enjoyed. Sometimes the things we don't want to think of or imagine is what we need to read. Things happen in this world we may not always want to realize they are there but they are.

I recommend you check out Playing House and I would love to hear your thoughts also.

A little more about the book:

When Playing House appeared in 1973, Publishers Weekly hailed it, "A probing descent into madness that will fascinate the same audience that appreciated I Never Promised You a Rose Garden." This nationally bestselling story of one woman's struggle with the lasting effects of a childhood sexual relationship with her brother shocked American readers, and is a literary work of enduring quality and value.

In his foreword Philip Roth writes, "The traumatized child; the institutionalized wife; the haunting desire; the ghastly business of getting through the day — what is striking about Wagman's treatment of these contemporary motifs is the voice of longing in which the heroine shamelessly confesses to the incestuous need that is at once her undoing and her only hope."

Playing House can be bought on Amazon on Sale for $11.66, Regular price $14.95. A thank you to FSB Associates for the opportunity to broaden my reading. Even though at times I wanted to put this book down, the writing made me want to keep going and finish it. I'm glad I did it was a very moving book.


3 comments:

  1. It certainly sounds like a different kind of book. I am a romance novel person. How do you find time to read? I am home all day yet I do most of my reading on vacation. I tell myself all the time that I should be reading instead of TV and blogging but here I sit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly sounds like a different kind of book. I am a romance novel person. How do you find time to read? I am home all day yet I do most of my reading on vacation. I tell myself all the time that I should be reading instead of TV and blogging but here I sit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another reason to love ya so much! Books are totally my escape. My family teases me unmercifully for my reading habits. I may check this one out... when life is a little less heavy... but I'll still check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Commments welcome, helps me know the people in the wall really do exsist!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thank You to My Wonderful Sponsors!!!

1800flowers
Baby Pop
BzzAgent
cafe Press
CSN
Easy Lunch Boxes
Faith Words
Glasses USA
Great Wolf Lodge
Hachette
Jump Start
My Baby Clothes Boutique
My Blog Spark
Ouchies
Pleasures.com
red envelope
She Speaks

tote bags
Strap Doctor
You Can Make This

Total Pageviews

Awards I've been Given! You Really Love Me!! (Yes my best Oscar Speech)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
friendhip2 from Anissa
passoinate-blogger-award (Heidi @ Tried & True Cooking)
You're a Superstar Blogger
you-dont-say-post - Kristie Notes
Annisa (Over the top)
Jessica Mommy Needs Coffee (Lovely)
Annissa (Queen Award)
Your Blog is Fabulous
Best Comedic Performance
Splash Award
Best Blog Award
Dragon's Loyalty Award
Photobucket
The Heartfelt Award
Daffy Commenter Award
 
Pin It button on image hover